Sunday, June 5, 2011

Joplin Tornado Cleanup

Joplin, MO got hit with an EF-5 tornado about 2-3 weeks ago. That's too close to home to ignore.
We went there yesterday to see what we could do to help out.
I'd never been anywhere in the aftermath of a tornado. The area we were working in was where the least damage had occurred. Yet I couldn't imagine how scary it would have been. There were trees the size of a torso that had been tossed about like twigs. Stuff in the tops of trees.. Insulation covering the outside of buidings.
Astounding, and very humbling. It certainly makes one reevaluate their own complaints. Makes trivial what seemed so important just an hour ago. Hell it makes you feel lucky to be alive and still have a roof over your head. When you think, at the end of the day, how hot it was out there and how little it seems you got done, the view reminds you that it takes a community. That just because you can go home and take a cool shower and go to bed, the people you're helping out don't have that option.
It's going to take a long time to cleanup and recover, but if the people of Joplin and the volunteers that were there yesterday are any indication it will get done.
I guess I'm use to the stuffy/conservative/individual attitude of the midwest but, there was none of that out at the site. No bickering about religion, race, etc. No complaints about what had to be done. Just determination to get in there and do what one could. To me that's what community is about.

I have to hand it to Service International. I'm not sure what all they do there but they provided transport from the church to the worksites, food, water, and tools. The support system of the efforts if you will.
There were people there from all over. From St. Louis (nearly 300 miles) to Kansas and Arkansas.

It's nice to see so many people from all over, from all walks of life, helping out. It does sadden me though, that it takes a catastrophe to bring community together.

Food for though


1 comment:

  1. It is sad that it takes something of this magnitude to bring everybody together, but, a lot of times, that is what it takes... I was just through Joplin on Friday and I went right down Rangeline Road, and I could not believe my eyes... All the devastation, but then all the people there helping was just amazing....

    ReplyDelete