Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rediscovering Music

I've loved music for what seems like forever. It's very rare a day goes by that I don't listen to at least a few tunes. It's hard to imagine a lifetime without music.

I did a brief period when I was a kid learning to play piano..but that was a lifetime ago.. I've forgotten almost everything. How to read music, keep time, etc.

But music has somehow become more to me over the past several years. I still like a wide variety, but I tend to listen to a more mellow mix.

A lot of chants and songs from the UU hymnal.

I use to listen to music because the beat and the words fit my mood. But now It's something deeper than that. It's spiritual, it moves me.

Something that I'm finding is that I don't have as deep a contempt for other religions as I use to. I've come to the realization that all religions are striving for deeper meaning of life. Granted some in very fucked up ways but still.

Anyway, if you can get beyond all that and past what one calls God, Goddess, Greater power, whatever. There are songs/messages that are worth contemplating.

I am trying to relearn music. I want to eventually play guitar (considering I have two). But I'm starting out with the piano again because visually and mentally it's easier for me to do. Likely because it was what I learned on. I'm rather excited that some of it is starting to come back!!

I never understood people who are so into art, music, etc. But I'm starting to. These are mediums that are conductive to self expression and interpretation. It's not important that others understand, or like what you're doing. It's your expression. Of course it's nice (and often profitable) if you create something that everyone "gets" or relates to.

Anyway I'm excited. It seems I maybe figuring out my spiritual path. Now if I can get the rest of my shit in order ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment