Monday, July 27, 2009

Poetry and Philosophy


Well I've run dry on topics to post about so I'm going to try something new, or rather something I had started before but never explained or developed further.

From time to time, I'll post some of my favorite poems. I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts
on them : if you like them, what they mean to you, what you think the author was trying to convey.

What makes poetry so interesting is it's interpretation is, or can be, subjective, what it coveys to you may not have been what the author envisioned at all.

When you take into account how our language and culture has changed over time, frame of reference can be difficult to grasp.


Poetry is an art no doubt. If you think about the English language, how much description do we use today as opposed to 50-100 years ago? This loss is to make things more precise (and faster) and fit into objective frames, but does it? Is it better to have a technical description of something, or a detailed description, which engages the minds eye more? Why is it important to engage imagery?

With that tidbit of philosophy, I leave you with this:


Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening
Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

you can find more of his poetry here

No comments:

Post a Comment