Monday, February 28, 2011

What does music mean to you

What is it that we find so compelling about music?
Is it the word? The beat? Both/neither?

Or is it something else entirely?

For me it's yet another thing that defines and redefines it's self overtime.. and often depends on my state of mind at the time.

I like a good protest tune when I'm angry or just depressed because it seems nothing is going right with the world. I guess it just helps to know that it is a "we" issue instead of just an "I" issue.

Other times I like a hopeful tune.. Like Reclaiming "Let it begin now".

Other times I like a little of everything..except hip-hop or rap..

To me the beat and lyrics have to be right but it must also "move me".. take me to a different state of mind. Get my thoughts flowing or make me almost ecstatic. It's almost spiritual to me..

Sometimes sad songs can do that too. And chants get my energy up.

I do find that I'm not as much into Metallica and other hard core stuff as much now, nor am I really into the mushy stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I still love a tear jerker or bang your head every now and again, just not all the time.

Though I do like music. I'd be hard pressed to imagine life without at least a few minutes of it each day.

So what kind(s) of music really gets you going, and why?


1 comment: